Post-Sandy Recap

Images via NYMag The past week has been a challenging time, to say the least. Lauren and I live downtown in Zone A, so at the las...


Images via NYMag

The past week has been a challenging time, to say the least. Lauren and I live downtown in Zone A, so at the last minute Sunday night decided to evacuate, and good thing we did - after we got to a friend's place, we received calls saying the building was going to shut down the elevators. Unfortunately, power went out Monday night at my friend's place (due to whatever happened to the 14th street substation/transformer/plant  - not totally sure which it is), so Tuesday morning we went over to midtown.

Then the real nightmare began - Tuesday night we received calls telling us our building's basement flooded 20 feet and that they were issuing a mandatory evacuation as our building is unliveable in its current condition, and that they estimate it'll take two weeks to get power back on, which coincides with when we're leaving for Asia! So I had to pack for the next month pretty much, and my sister's boyfriend helped us move our suitcases down too many flights of stairs - I felt both bad and grateful for him!! 

So, Lauren and I are temporarily relocated to midtown thanks to the kindness of some people we know.

With all of this, my head has not been in a lifestyle/style/fashion place, and I still need to catch up on my blogs and everything else I do when life is more "normal". The city is a ghost town downtown - yesterday on the bus going back to the apartment I saw that Soho was completely shut down. I felt like I was living in a movie! Plus, just seeing how crippled a thriving city like New York can get is pretty eye-opening. 

I consider myself lucky for sure, especially compared to the devastation in Jersey and that whole section of houses burning down in Queens - I can't even imagine going through loss like that! 

I'll be back to regular blogging next week hopefully, and now that I'm so close to Central Park expect some gorgeous background scenery (assuming they open it soon!) in my photos. 

Hope you're all well!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Wow this is so crazy. Glad to hear you're safe and sound but what a scary time. Best wishes to you!
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!! Jess, I'm so glad you're okay. It's been so sad to watch the news about the aftermath of Sandy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! :)

latest on instagram