New Year's Resolutions

Image via Whimsy Studios Happy new year! The best thing about a new year is the feeling of a clean, new slate - it doesn't matter...

Image via Whimsy Studios

Happy new year! The best thing about a new year is the feeling of a clean, new slate - it doesn't matter what happened last year, because you have the chance right now to start over and hit refresh! With that in mind, I thought I'd share some of my New Year's resolutions with you...
  1. Be a better friend. A lot of my friends don't live in New York and so it takes a little more time and thought to keep those relationships alive. I used to just let them lie until either they were visiting NYC or I'd be in Hong Kong or wherever, but after reconnecting with a few of the people who mean most to me over Thanksgiving, I realized that I want more than that! And what better way than to consciously make the effort to send off a quick "Hi, I miss you!" text or email, or a photo of something that reminds me of them, or whatever? I want to continue building my long-distance friendships, and not just let them lie until we meet up next. 
  2. Save money. I confess - I'm not so good at saving. I have a 401(k) and I have a little bit in my emergency fund, but this year I really want to pump that fund up! I do have a number in mind and that's my goal for this year, and I am going to make it happen.
  3. Pick a hobby and stick with it. I have a lot of interests, maybe too many for the more limited time (and energy) I have, but this year I'd really like to stick to something and do it at least once a week. At this point in time I'm thinking a weekly ballet class and maybe drawing something, anything, just once a week. To pick up the habit again and because I really do enjoy it when I get into it - and by it, I mean both ballet and drawing. 
  4. Learn to use my camera. I bought my DSLR back in July and have yet to really learn all of the functions (I've taken a photography class once, back when I was about 13, so I really don't remember that much unfortunately). Whether this means buying a book or taking a class, I want to get out there and learn how to use it and practice! (And maybe quiz Crystal for tips & tricks...she's amazing!)
  5. Do something cultural once a month. Check out a new exhibit, a show, whatever it is...really take advantage of everything New York City has to offer. I really believe NYC is special simply for the plethora of arts and culture available, and I want to do this regularly rather than let cool exhibits pass me by because I never took the time to just go and see it before it's over. (I've actually been pretty good about this one, though it wasn't a formal resolution - I can't think of anything I really wanted to go see and didn't in 2012, so that's good!)
What are some of your 2013 resolutions?

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. great goals!! I am not consistent with making goals for myself when the year changes. Mainly because I kind of feel bad that I wait until the New Year to make changes. I do want to make some meaningful changes for 2013 that will truly make an impact in my life so I can't wait to see what will happen! Cheers!!
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. learning to use my camera is definitely one of my goals! I'm taking an online photography class right now I bought through groupon so definitely keep your eye out on there. I've seen a bunch over the past few weeks!

    Happy New Year!
    xo Jackie
    ...livingaftermidnite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! Is it a good class? What company runs the class? Details please! :)

      Delete
  3. great resolutions! i completely agree with the saving and being a better friend! i really, really need to work on my savings and paying more attention to where I am spending. for working out that you asked about - I pretty much just walk on the treadmill (i am horrible at running) while I watch my shows for an hour or a little more 4 or 5 times per week. thats the majority of what I do otherwise ill use the elliptical at the gym occasionally. in the past few months i havent done much more, but I am hoping to get back into the tracy anderson DVDs which are really hard but so great for once or twice per week. i hope you had a great holiday and a happy new year!!

    http://itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! :)

latest on instagram