New Year Resolutions New Year's
New Year's ResolutionsTuesday, January 01, 2013
Image via Whimsy Studios Happy new year! The best thing about a new year is the feeling of a clean, new slate - it doesn't matter...
Image via Whimsy Studios
Happy new year! The best thing about a new year is the feeling of a clean, new slate - it doesn't matter what happened last year, because you have the chance right now to start over and hit refresh! With that in mind, I thought I'd share some of my New Year's resolutions with you...
- Be a better friend. A lot of my friends don't live in New York and so it takes a little more time and thought to keep those relationships alive. I used to just let them lie until either they were visiting NYC or I'd be in Hong Kong or wherever, but after reconnecting with a few of the people who mean most to me over Thanksgiving, I realized that I want more than that! And what better way than to consciously make the effort to send off a quick "Hi, I miss you!" text or email, or a photo of something that reminds me of them, or whatever? I want to continue building my long-distance friendships, and not just let them lie until we meet up next.
- Save money. I confess - I'm not so good at saving. I have a 401(k) and I have a little bit in my emergency fund, but this year I really want to pump that fund up! I do have a number in mind and that's my goal for this year, and I am going to make it happen.
- Pick a hobby and stick with it. I have a lot of interests, maybe too many for the more limited time (and energy) I have, but this year I'd really like to stick to something and do it at least once a week. At this point in time I'm thinking a weekly ballet class and maybe drawing something, anything, just once a week. To pick up the habit again and because I really do enjoy it when I get into it - and by it, I mean both ballet and drawing.
- Learn to use my camera. I bought my DSLR back in July and have yet to really learn all of the functions (I've taken a photography class once, back when I was about 13, so I really don't remember that much unfortunately). Whether this means buying a book or taking a class, I want to get out there and learn how to use it and practice! (And maybe quiz Crystal for tips & tricks...she's amazing!)
- Do something cultural once a month. Check out a new exhibit, a show, whatever it is...really take advantage of everything New York City has to offer. I really believe NYC is special simply for the plethora of arts and culture available, and I want to do this regularly rather than let cool exhibits pass me by because I never took the time to just go and see it before it's over. (I've actually been pretty good about this one, though it wasn't a formal resolution - I can't think of anything I really wanted to go see and didn't in 2012, so that's good!)
What are some of your 2013 resolutions?