Protect Thy HairWednesday, July 24, 2013
I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to getting my hair colored - in that aside from switching to sulfate-free, color safe shampo...
I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to getting my hair colored - in that aside from switching to sulfate-free, color safe shampoo and conditioner and adding a hair oil (mine smells like coconut!) to my hair routine, I didn't quite realize that hair color fades in the sun.
The realization came when after 3 hot, sunny days in Seattle, my hair was about 5 shades lighter than when I left New York! Luckily I quite like the color for now, but I definitely don't want it to get any blonder than it already is. So as a result, I did a little research on sunscreens for hair to select one for my mane.
From left to right:
- Aveda Sun Care Protection Hair Veil - this is the one I ended up with, only because I knew I definitely wanted one in spray form and one that was just for UV protection and not a multi-tasking product. Plus, it smells good!
- Kiehl's Color Protect Shine-Infusing Hair Oil Treatment
- Fekkai Summer Hair Cooling Shine Mist
- B. the Product Sun Out Protective Spray
- Tela Sun Protection for Hair and Scalp
- Bumble & Bumble Colorminded Protect & Finish
I tend to spray it on right before I leave the apartment as the final step, after I've already styled and/or treated my hair. So far, it's working! (Of course, a hat always helps too...)
What extra steps do you take to protect your hair in the summer?